100 Facts Flight covers key topics about the world of aviation in easily-digestible, numbered facts. Every page includes fantastic illustrations and photographs that support a child's understanding of the text. A fantastic plane book for kids aged 6+.
Essential topics covered in 100 Facts Flight:
- The scientific concepts of being lighter than air and flying faster than the speed of sound
- The world-altering design for the aeroplane and how to operate one
- Other flying machines such as helicopters, space rockets and war planes
Examples of 'I don't believe it' fascinating facts:
- Before letting people fly in their balloon, the Montgolfier brothers tried it out with a duck, a sheep and a chicken!
- A 747 Jumbo Jet has 18 wheels in total - a set of two wheels under the nose and four sets of four wheels under the body and wings.
- The first plane to go supersonic was the Bell XI, which had a rocket engine. On 14 October 1947 its pilot, Chuck Yeager, became the first person to fly faster than sound travels.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive include:
- Make a whirling rotor using just a piece of paper and a paperclip!
- Quiz question: Pushing the control column forwards makes a plane climb. True or false?
- Demonstrate to friends and family why a plane shoots forwards by blowing up a balloon and letting go. Gases rush out of jet engines in the same way.
Author: Sue Becklake
Consultant: Chris Oxlade
Dimensions: 9 X 12
Format: Paperback with holographic foil