This book reviews strategies for assessing and treating pediatric obesity in children with neurodevelopmental disorders (ND). It synthesizes empirical findings and clinical strategies to offer the latest knowledge in key areas, including risk factors, physical activity, nutrition, treatment planning, goal-setting, and engagement with patients. A four-stage treatment model presents clinical guidance in triaging treatment and tailoring interventions to children's changing medical, behavioral, emotional, and cognitive needs. The book complements current pediatric ND literature by presenting clear guidelines for integrating treatment for obesity into existing treatment of these young patients.Topics featured in this book include:
- The effect of neurodevelopmental disorders on the assessment of obesity in children.
- The impact of developmental delays on physical activities and health behaviors.
- Strategies for promoting weight management goals in pediatric ND.
- Suggestions on how to engage and support families and caregivers.
- The role of prevention in weight management within pediatric ND.