Take a journey back in time to see what twelve mighty metropolises actually looked like during an important moment in their history. In this interactive and fact-filled tour, kids will discover intriguing facts about each historic city, what it looked like in the past, and how a significant event changed it forever.
On each page, open the gatefolds and lift the flaps to discover how these historic civilizations have evolved into modern cities, and compare their past appearance with their current one. Experience daily life in Great Zimbabwe, witness the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, see how Las Vegas went from a desolate desert to a booming city, and lots more.
Historical cities featured:
- Thebes, Egypt, Africa, c. 1200 bce
- Babylon, Iraq, Asia, c. 550 bce
- Pompeii, Italy, Europe, 79 ce
- Constantinople/Istanbul, Turkey, Europe/Asia, 550
- Aarhus, Denmark, Europe, c. 950
- Great Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe, Africa, c. 1250
- Tenochtitlan/Mexico City, Mexico, North America, c. 1520
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, South America, c. 1560
- London, England, UK, Europe, 1666
- Sydney, Australia, c. 1780
- Las Vegas, USA, North America, c. 1905
- Shanghai, China, Asia, c. 1950
About Lonely Planet Kids: Come explore! Let's start an adventure. Lonely Planet Kids excites and educates children about the amazing world around them. Combining astonishing facts, quirky humor and eye-catching imagery, we ignite their curiosity and encourage them to discover more about our planet. Every book draws on our huge team of global experts to help share our continual fascination with what makes the world such a diverse and magnificent place - inspiring children at home and in school.