- An Amazon Best Memoir of the Month
- One of Elle Magazine's Best Books of 2017
- Goodreads Best of the Month
- Daily Beast, "Books I Can't Live Without"
- Good Housekeeping, Best New Books for Summer
- Book Riot, 100 Must Read Books about Happiness
Happiness starts out as a charming courtship between hopelessly attracted opposites: Heather, an out-going, theatre-performing California girl, and Brian, an intellectual New Yorker with an unwavering writing routine.
But when Heather falls pregnant, their magical interlude abruptly ends-Brian loves her, only he doesn't want kids. So Heather decides to have their baby alone. Mere hours after Gracie's arrival, Heather's bliss is interrupted when a nurse wakes her, 'Get dressed, your baby is in trouble.'
This is not how Heather had imagined motherhood. As concerns for her health grow, Brian and Heather begin a cautious return to each other. Happiness: The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After transforms heartbreak and parental fears into a lyrical meditation on love and happiness, in all their crooked configurations.