Supporting person-centred clinical practice.
The third Australian edition of Medical-Surgical Nursing: Critical Thinking for Person-Centred Care will help prepare you for your nursing journey.
This straightforward Australian edition integrates the following concepts: epidemiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, legal and ethical issues, therapeutic communication, interprofessional communication and cultural competence.
This textbook has been designed to:
- emphasise a person-centred philosophy whereby the patient is seen as an integral member of the team and consideration of their needs and wishes is paramount
- foster critical thinking and clinical reasoning skills as the basis for nursing excellence in clinical practice
- recognise the nurse's role as an essential member of the interprofessional healthcare team
Features and Benefits
- Learning Objectives show you the knowledge you’ll gain, while Clinical Competencies demonstrate how you will apply that knowledge.
- Diagnostic Tests This section includes diagnostic test tables and a narrative summary. The tables include the name of the test, the purpose and description of the test, and related nursing care.
- Focus on Cultural Diversity boxes demonstrate how culture, age and gender produce differences in incidence, prevalence and mortality.
- Pathophysiology Illustrated art brings physiological processes to life.
- Genetic Considerations boxes remind you of the relevant genetic-based information to gather during the health history.
- Health Assessment Interviews not only summarise and prioritise the questions to ask, but also provide an interview guide based on functional health patterns.
- The Physical Assessment section is in an easy-to-read two-column format that demonstrates how to perform the assessment, with normal and abnormal findings.
- Fast Facts boxes highlight and summarise important data about the prevalence and incidence of selected disorders in Australia, and of other featured content.
- An end-of-unit review for each of the units, called Building Clinical Competence, synthesises what you have learned in the unit and applies the knowledge to specific cases.