Political Ideologies and the Democratic Ideal analyzes political ideologies to help readers understand individual ideologies, and the concept of ideology, from a political science perspective. This best-selling title promotes open-mindedness and develops critical thinking skills. It covers a wide variety of political ideologies from the traditional liberalism and conservatism to recent developments in liberation politics, the emergence of the Alt-Right, and environmental politics.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
- Focus on the recent rise of populism and an "illiberal democracy" and how this poses a real challenge to the pillars of Western Liberal democracy;
- A look at early Conservatives and the idea of "natural aristocracy" with focus on the thoughts of Edmund Burke;
- A new discussion on whether Donald Trump is really a conservative, and if so, to what extent this is true;
- An expanded look at Stalinism and the apparent rebirth of "Mao Zedong thought" in China through "Xi Jinping thought";
- A more in-depth look at the rise of Hitler and the Nazi Party and how "myth" was crucial to legitimizing both the man and the party;
- New section on the history of American Fascism, from its origins to the recent emergence of the "Alt-Right";
- Expansion of the discussion around the recent protest movements Black Lives Matter, and #MeToo, along with the repercussions of these movements;
- Discussion on the obstacles facing transgender people implemented in recent years, including the bathroom laws and the ban from US military service;
- Account of how Donald Trump has galvanized the environmental movement like never before, through his ardent anti-environment policies and appointments;
- In-depth look at how the effects of climate change are increasingly turning people into "environmental migrants" and how the presence of these people has fueled far-right movements across Europe and the US;
- Additional photos throughout;
- An updated, author-written Instructor's Manual and Test Bank.