This second edition of Supporting Boys¿ Writing in the Early Years shows how you can help boys to become confident and capable writers by supporting them to write in ways that make sense to them ¿ on the move, outside and inside, in dens, in bushes, in mud, or sprawled on the floor dressed as superheroes. The book reveals that a playful, child-centred approach can allow boys and girls to develop a writers¿ voice, raise attainment in writing and enhance all aspects of young children¿s development.
This new edition includes:
- brand new examples, case studies and photographs from over 200 recent early writing projects;
- up-to-date references fully in line with the latest Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) documentation;
- a response to the increased focus in schools on handwriting, in particular on cursive handwriting;
- a questioning of the place of objective-led print in the classroom and a recommendation that environmental print should reflect learning rather than teaching;
- imaginative ideas for developing oral and written storytelling;
- a consideration of some of the ways in which challenging active play, such as superhero and weapon play, can be channelled into playful writing;
- a greater discussion and challenging of the emphasis placed on outcomes, over the process of learning and development.
Supporting Boys' Writing in the Early Years will help you to create a truly enabling environment for writing and supports the belief that writing experiences should be EPIC: Everywhere, Playful and Purposeful, Inspirational and Contextualised. It is an essential read for all practitioners who want the children in their setting to flourish as motivated and creative writers.