The Study Quran is a historic and groundbreaking work, produced by a distinguished team of Islamic studies scholars led by Seyyed Hossein Nasr, which offers:
- A new English translation of the Quran that is accurate, accessible, and reliable in how it renders this sacred text
- A wide-ranging verse-by-verse commentary that brings together the most respected and distinguished traditions of metaphysical, spiritual, theological, and legal interpretation of the Quran within Islam
- A helpful introduction to each su¯rah that provides an overview and background of its teachings
- Essays by fifteen internationally renowned scholars on how to read and understand the Quran and its role in shaping Islamic civilization
- A beautiful two-color, two-column design that presents the sacred text and commentary in the spirit of traditional Quran manuscripts Maps,
- a time line of historical events, comprehensive indexes, and other features to aid reading The Study Quran provides a service never before available to readers of English:
- a scholarly yet accessible resource where one can quickly and easily explore how Muslims have interpreted the Quran through the centuries to the present day.
An invaluable resource for scholars and students of all backgrounds, and especially to Muslims who want to deepen their understanding of their own tradition, The Study Quran is a much-needed guide in a time when confusion about the Quran and Islam is so prevalent.
An unparalleled resource for studying a sacred text Renowned Muslim and Islamic scholar Seyyed Hossein Nasr and a team of editors provide a window into how the Quran has been understood by Muslims through the centuries.
For the first time, scholars and students of all backgrounds have a clear and reliable resource in English for exploring the history of interpretation for any passage in the Quran.
“In our post-9/11 world, the Quran is becoming a more public document in the West than it has ever been throughout its history. Ultimately, this has the potential to validate misunderstanding as easily as it affords insight into the meaning of the text for Muslims. In this context, The Study Quran could not be more timely. This painstaking work will do much to enlighten and inform the reading strategies of all who seek to understand the Holy Writ of Islam, especially as it relates to the beliefs and practices of Muslims.”-Sherman A. Jackson, King Faisal Chair in Islamic Thought and Culture at the University of Southern California
“A monument of religious literature in its own right, The Study Quran presents the sacred text in a meticulous new English rendering. One of this ambitious project's greatest strengths is the breadth and variety of exegetical sources and methods that inform the commentary throughout-most impressive.”-John Renard, Professor of Medieval Islam at Saint Louis University
“A truly magisterial and the most comprehensive study of the Quran to date.”-Asma Afsaruddin, Chair of the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures at Indiana University, Bloomington
“By giving attention to a wide range of commentators, the editors capture the diversity and depth of the exegetical ideas that have been brought to the Quran-a useful resource.”-Peter Adamson, Professor of Ancient and Medieval Philosophy at King's College London
“A huge and significant scholarly undertaking-a major service to Islamic studies.”-Jonathan Brown, Associate Director of the Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding at Georgetown University