The Zero F*cks Cookbook is best summed up by author Yumi Stynes' ten commandments:
- You shall not fuss.
- If a step can be simplified, shortened or skipped altogether, it will be.
- You shall use the whole tub or container, rather than leave an annoying blob in the bottom.
- You shall always opt for healthier food, making you feel sexier.
- Marshmallows do not count as an ingredient. Nor does Coca Cola, nor French Onion Soup. You are busy, not a bogan.
- You will never apologise. You cooked. That is enough.
- When it is written 'best quality' – eg, 'use 200g of best quality bacon' – it means the best quality you can afford. 'Best quality' does not equal 'most expensive'.
- You will always accept help. If you are in a situation where you have zero f*cks left to give and someone offers to help chop, or bring a plate or salad, or buy a cake for dessert, YOU WILL SAY YES.
- You WILL follow the recipe! Every recipe has been carefully checked and tested by people who give vastly more f*cks than you do. Trust them. Get creative later.
- THOU SHALT HAVE FUN.
Yumi's book shows how it is possible to adhere to these principles AND enjoy delicious, tasty fuss-free food. It is divided across five chapters: weeknights; barbecue; snacks, emergencies and other moments of desperation; sweet stuff; and weekends. The key is celebrating her love of eating and cooking, without unnecessarily complicating meal time in an already busy family household.