Beyond the familiar tropes of knights and castles, elves and dragons, there is a whole world of possibilities for fantasy literature. This anthology collects fantasy stories whose inspiration lies beyond the traditional medieval European basis. It brings exciting new stories and overlooked voices into the fantasy genre.
This volume contains stories based on real cultures (or their magical analogues) from all over our world.
- A Chinese ex-soldier is confronted by the ghost of a young man he killed in battle.
- Two sisters disagree on how to deal with the African gods who followed their family to modern Britain.
- A blind Japanese girl journeys through the woods to tend her grandparents' grave and encounters a nefarious fox spirit.
- A Nigerian boy catches a magical fish the local magicians would love to eat. But is it worth more to him to keep it alive?
- A girl from the Caucasus mountains is set to marry a young man from the valley, when an invasion of Cyclopses interrupts the wedding.
Enjoy nineteen stories of fantasy, adventure, and magic from around the world.