Highly effective and ready to use, this proven program supplement helps early childhood educators explicitly teach vocabulary and oral language skills through lessons that introduce key social studies and science terms.
Teachers will start with a complete introduction to the PAVEd for Success approach, with invaluable tips, strategies, and classroom examples to help them enhance young children's emergent literacy. Then they'll get 24 engaging PAVE lesson plans that
* are scientifically based-evaluated in more than 300 prekindergarten and kindergarten classrooms
* use proven methods to improve students' vocabulary and oral language skills: shared storybook reading, intentional conversations, and explicit vocabulary instruction
* are consistent with National Early Literacy Panel guidelines
* fit perfectly with RTI-great for whole class, small group, or individual instruction
* easily supplement existing literacy programs and class routines
* teach children about science and social studies concepts such as magnets, outer space, transportation, maps and globes, seasons, and recycling
* work with diverse learners, including children with disabilities and English language learners
The included CD-ROM gives teachers easy access to all the printable materials they need for the PAVE lessons: more than 350 vocabulary picture cards, checklists for teachers and supervisors, student tracking and assessment tools, and sample letters to parents. Plus a helpful appendix of crosswalks shows how the PAVE approach aligns with the goals and standards identified by today's most widely respected organizations and programs (see box).
With the research-based strategies and lessons in this practical guidebook, teachers will PAVE the road to reading for all young children and prepare them for school success in first grade and beyond.